Decision made in
collaboration with caravan park providers
temporary camping trial ends
Have your say
THE Shire of Broome's overflow caravan
parks and temporary camping trial at the Cable Beach car park
are to be closed.
Shire president Harold Tracey said the decisions had been made in
collaboration with the town’s caravan park providers.
In response to the rising number of visitors
to Broome this year, the council approved a temporary free trial of
overnight camping for travellers in self-contained caravans and other RVs
in Cable Beach Surf Club car park from July 1.
This was subsequently extended until 7am on September 6, which will be the
conclusion date for the trial.
A total of 462 self-contained vehicles have taken advantage of the
opportunity, with most people abiding by the rules – 44 infringements were
issued by rangers.
Overflow caravanning facilities at the Broome Pistol Club and Seventh Day
Adventist Church grounds have also been operating in recent months to
provide additional options for visitors and ensure the required level of
These overflow facilities will also close on September 6.
"The Shire has moved quickly this year to do what it could to help cater
for what has been the busiest tourist season I can remember,"
Mr Tracey said.
"However, talking with our caravan park providers, bookings are dropping
off dramatically in the next week or so, with plenty of vacancies to cater
for tourists in the last quarter of the year.
"Shire rangers will continue to assess the situation but we anticipate our
permanent caravan park facilities will have more than enough spaces for
tourists arriving in caravans or RVs.
"The temporary trial at Cable Beach has been a success and is something we
can consider again next year and into the future if required."
CARAVANNING NEWS MAIN PAGE
No part of this
publication may be reproduced or transmitted without
the prior written
permission of Dennis Amor.
All Rights Reserved