spike in Google searches'
industry welcomes lifting of state's travel restrictions
Have your say
caravanning and camping body has welcomed Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s
announcement that people can get back to their travel and holiday plans in
the state from June 1.
The Caravan and Camping Industry Association (CCIA)
NSW said there had been a "huge spike" in Google searches for
caravan parks and campsites right after the news broke.
"We are definitely seeing a pent-up demand for caravan and camping escapes
and our holiday parks are ready to welcome holidaymakers back," chief
executive Lyndel Gray (pictured) said.
Ms Gray said the caravan and camping sector was an extremely important
part of the state's tourism economy and was vital to the economic success
of hundreds of regional economies across NSW.
"Our holiday parks are the lifeblood of many towns and have a huge flow on
impact to other businesses in the community with every $100 taken by a
caravan park creating $138 in economic benefit for the local economy," she
"Our regional holiday parks and campgrounds have been badly impacted by
the events of the past few months, from the drought to catastrophic
bushfires, and now COVID-19.
They are in good
position to quickly ramp up operations
"But the passion
and commitment of these businesses mean they are in a good position to
quickly ramp up their operations and welcome visitors once again."
Premier Berejiklian and deputy premier John Barilaro said NSW citizens
would be able take recreational trips across NSW, as long as they maintain
social distancing and good hygiene.
Travellers from interstate will be able to visit NSW for a holiday but
will need to comply with the rules of their home state when returning.
The Premier said lifting the holiday travel restriction would give
everyone a much needed break and help get small businesses and the tourism
industry moving again.
“This is the day we've all been looking forward to since the COVID-19
travel restrictions were put in place earlier this year and I would like
to thank everyone for their patience during the past few months of being
cooped up at home," Ms Berejiklian said.
"I must stress to everyone that, while we want people to enjoy a
well-earned holiday, we must do this responsibly and continue to abide by
physical distancing measures, as the last thing we want is further
outbreaks that will force us to reintroduce restrictions."
Mr Barilaro said while regional NSW would welcome visitors with open arms,
holidaymakers should call their planned accommodation venues and
attractions to ensure they will be open and confirm their bookings before
"COVID could not have come at a worse time for regional NSW, with towns
already doing it tough due to bushfires and drought and so I encourage
everyone to make plans to safely and responsibly visit their favourite
regional holiday destination, or discover a new one," he said.
"I encourage holidaymakers to visit local businesses, enjoy local
attractions and feast on the best food regional NSW has to offer, and for
those not able to get away in June 2020, to start making plans for later
in the year when even more businesses will be open."
Some caravan parks and camping grounds will be opened but travellers
should call ahead and confirm bookings, while travellers planning to visit
national parks should check NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service for
Travellers need to especially practice strong hygiene around shared
BACK TO CARAVANNING NEWS MAIN PAGE
No part of this
publication may be reproduced or transmitted without
the prior written
permission of Dennis Amor.
All Rights Reserved