Caravanning News is registered with the National Library of Australia's PANDORA archive
to 32,000 monthly
'Risk to human life unacceptable'
Council warns rural landowners about allowing illegal camping
A VICTORIAN council has warned it will take action against landowners who allow illegal camping on private rural properties. Mansfield Shire Council says some were advertising camping facilities without relevant approvals and appropriate facilities. It is concerned that many of the locations would place campers at severe fire risk. There could also be environmental impacts on waterways and vegetation, with campers often not having access to septic systems and other services. "The risk to human life from natural hazards such as bushfires, floods and storms is unacceptable," Mayor Cr James Tehan said.
'Forging a new alliance'
G'Day Group sails into new waters with navy
AUSTRALIA'S leading group of independent caravan and
holiday parks is sailing into new waters to expand its national touring
● Navy Canteens operates holiday centres across Australia with discounts of up to 30 percent for Navy personnel.
'Heated demands to dealers'
Caravan Council of Australia calls for RV code of practice
THE Caravan Council of Australia has stressed the importance for RV manufacturers to be ruled by an official quality standard or code of practice. Founder and general manager Colin Young said there had been "thousands of calls, emails, and letters" from upset caravanners who had unacceptable problems with their new RVs. "Despite often frequent requests and heated demands to their dealers, they had unwarranted hassles in getting the defects rectified," he claimed. Mr Young said a high percentage of complaints involved non-compliancy with legal requirements, some of them being "downright dangerous".
Over 100 communities and developments
Ingenia Communities complete $441 million of acquisitions
INGENIA Communities today announced expansion of the group’s lifestyle and holiday park businesses with the completion of $441 million of acquisitions. These comprised a mix of established communities and development sites and were included in the $552 million of acquisitions identified with the group's $475 million equity raising announced on November 1, 2021. Chief executive Simon Owen was "pleased" to see such rapid deployment of the equity raised, with the majority of transactions now complete. "Despite a marked increase in competition for quality communities and development sites, these acquisitions demonstrate our ability to grow the portfolio, as we benefit from a pipeline and relationships that have taken many years to establish," he said. "We now have over one hundred communities and developments, with enhanced exposure to our key markets."
'Looking forward to new debate ahead'
New CIAA board is a real changing
AUSTRALIA'S peak body for the caravanning industry has welcomed new national board members for a two-year term. Following an election by the state caravanning associations, the composition of the Caravan Industry Association of Australia board has been updated. Kate Meldrum, Martin Cotterell and Grant Wilckens were re-elected with three new members ‒ Nikki Milne, Chris Woods and Margaret Shannon ‒ joining them. Current board members Donna Cocking, Brad Slater and Gerard Waldron were not subject to re-election and will continue to serve for another year ahead of a ballot next November. Chief executive Stuart Lamont (pictured) described it as a real changing of the guard. "We acknowledge the tremendous contribution of the retiring board members and look forward to new debate ahead," he said.
Staged closures to restrict spread
Warning to campers as battle continues against Inskip gastro
CARAVANNERS and other campers planning to head to Queensland's Inskip Point for the festive season have been warned of restricted sites. The news comes as Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) continues to battle an outbreak of gastroenteritis at the popular camping area east of Gympie. The number of holiday revellers will be capped to existing bookings only up until December 24 in some camping areas. "Queensland Health has provided expert advice on this issue and recommended QPWS reduce camper numbers and temporarily close camping areas in a staged approach, to limit the spread of the illness," QPWS said.
'This is the community's chance'
Comments are called for on redeveloping caravan parks
QUEENSLAND'S Fraser Coast Regional Council has appealed for comments on master plans to redevelop caravan parks at Pialba and Torquay. "This is the community's chance to tell us what features and facilities they would like to see in refurbished council-owned caravan parks," caravan enthusiast Cr Jade Wellings said. It is anticipated that feedback on the concept plans will be presented to the council next year. The council owns four beachfront tourist caravan parks and is preparing master plans to guide their future development. It has allocated $22 million to the redevelopment over five years, with work already well underway at the Scarness park.
More than 8000 could be at risk
Concern over RVs with potentially
AUSTRALIA'S consumer watchdog has again issued an appeal to caravanners who could have a potentially lethal water heater in their recreational vehicle. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) urges them to check for dangerous Suburban-branded dual fuel gas/electric heaters before setting off on post COVID-lockdown holidays. It is concerned that more than 50 percent of the units could emit deadly odourless carbon monoxide if used in gas mode. There are still over 8300 consumers who have not registered their water heaters for a free inspection.