Electrocution or fire risk revealed
POTENTIALLY LETHAL CABLE IN CARAVANS
cable in Mr Root's caravan
By Dennis Amor
Have your say
OWNERS of some
caravans built between 2010 and 2014 could be in danger of being
electrocuted or seeing their RV erupt in flames.
The shock warning comes from Victoria caravanner
Trevor Root who has just discovered "by chance"
that his boutique caravan is wired with cable that could turn his RV into
a death trap.
He told Caravanning News that Chinese-made Infinity cables used
during its construction could degrade and become
brittle with age, causing a short circuit with devastating results.
"My guess is there might not be many caravans with the cable in it, but
I'd rather alert people and get them to check than hear of a caravan
burning down because they didn't know," he said.
"We discovered last week that our 'van, built in 2012, has some of the
Infinity cable in it.
"We contacted our manufacturer and they have in turn contacted the
Infinity Recall office in Sydney who will arrange for an electrician to
check the 'van and determine the next course of action."
Mr Root said was aware of at least one other caravanner who had the
Infinity cable in his caravan.
it was only
supposed to be cable manufactured in 2013 but that now doesn’t appear to
be the case. For more information go to the ACCC website,The last time
that I looked there was still a large amount of the cable that was either
outstanding or had not been used.
Bruce Aumann is another caravanner who was forced to have
the rogue cable replaced.
He said: "It was only supposed to be cable manufactured in 2013 but that
now doesn't appear to be the case.
"The last time that I looked there was still a large amount of the cable
that was either outstanding or had not been used."
In a 2015 recall, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
warned that if the cables were disturbed the plastic insulation could
become brittle and break, resulting in possible death or serious injury
from electrocution or a fire.
Have your say